Saturday, May 19, 2007

Serbia winner of Eurovision song contest

On May 12, the winner of the Eurovision song contest was announced. Marija Šerifović of Serbia had the winning song out of 42 participating countries. Her song Molitva, meaning "Prayer" in English, became the first winning song containing no English lyrics since 1998. Although countries tended to vote for their neighbors, the passionate singing and moving lyrics pushed Šerifović to first place. Unlike many of the singers, her performance was not flashy or dominated by fancy costumes or movements. Rather, this plain-looking person won through the quality of her song.

When she arrived back at the Belgrade airport, over 30,000 people prepared a mass rally for her in front of the Civic Assembly of Belgrade.

Lyrics (English version titled Destiny)
I'm wide awake
An empty bed drives my dreams away
Life melts like ice
Disappears in the twinkling of an eye

I'm losing my mind,
Pushing reality out of sight
Our lips are touching softly
You're the one I believe blindly

[ Molitva lyrics found on http://www.completealbumlyrics.com ]
I walk around like crazy
Falling in love frightens me
Days are like wounds
Countless and hard to get through

Prayer...
It burns my sore lips like a fire
Prayer...
Thy name is something I admire
Heaven knows just as well as I do
So many times I have cried over you
Heaven knows just as well as I do
I pray and live only for you

I can't lie to God
as I kneel down and pray
You're the love of my life
That's the only thing I can say

No comments: