Monday, April 28, 2008

Chickens on Strike?


On Friday (Good Friday for Orthodox Serbs), I went to the local green market. Mass quantities of eggs were being sold, with a majority of the booths dedicating at least some space to the light brown-colored ja jas. Most of these eggs would be hard boiled and dyed with either brightly-colored commercial dyes or the traditional method using boiled onion skins for coloring and a leaf resist for a design. Not having my camera with me that day, I decided I would go and take some photos of the eggcellent sales the following day at the downtown market, Zeleni Venac. Alas, with the exception of a few eggs including these already dyed eggs nestled in between the flowers, the jajas were not to be found. Perhaps as in Chicken Run, the Serbian hens organized and decided enough is enough....

No comments: