Monday, April 21, 2008

Easter Preparations in Serbia


This is Holy Week in Serbia, marking the lead-up to Serbian Orthodox Easter which is next Sunday. Over the weekend as I went for walks and did my weekly grocery shopping, I encountered vendors selling things for the occasion. On Saturday, bells strung around sashes of striped red, white and blue ribbons were being sold. These were worn around the necks of children, commemorating Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. Walking home from the green market, I heard church bells ringing for the special service.


At Kalenić market (the largest green market in Belgrade) both vendors and buyers were in the Easter mood. Large quantities of eggs were being sold, along with some special decorative egg holders on which a single egg would be displayed. Packets of egg dyes and stickers were being sold en masse, both by "regular" booth sellers and makeshift sellers walking around. A few places were selling decorative chicks covered in yellow fuzz or feathers. From a distance the chicks looked like Peeps. For the sweet tooth, chocolate bunnies, chicks and other Easter goodies could be found. I passed up all of these and bought some domestic strawberries - the first of the season.


On one end of the Kalenić market is the flower area. Spring flowers such as tulips, daffodils, calla lillies, and lilacs were in abundance. People were also busy buying up annuals to plant in their gardens and window boxes. Finding it impossible to pass up this area altogether, I did manage to restrain my purchases to only 2 plants- knowing that I'd only be able to enjoy them for less than 2 months. We'll see how long I'll be able to resist buying more....

No comments: