Friday, October 24, 2008

Happy (early) Diwali

Since I am leaving for Kerala tomorrow and won’t have my computer with me, I have decided to post an early entry on Diwali. Also known as Deepavali in southern India, this major Indian festival is celebrated by Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, and some Buddhists with much the same intensity as the west celebrates Christmas. Called the “Festival of Lights,” candles and lamps are still a large part of the celebration, as are decorating homes with lights and lighting firecrackers (which I have already been hearing out on my street for about a week).

During this time gifts are purchased and distributed, with beautiful saris a common purchase for women. Employers give their workers a bonus. Sweets are made, purchased, and exchanged en masse, with enough sugar and ghee (clarified butter) to make your teeth rot and stomach expand.

There are different variations as to the origins of Diwali, but most see it as a celebration of victory over evil. Regardless of one’s religious affiliation, Diwali is widely enjoyed as one of India’s most beautiful and significant festivals.

The photos I have included were taken at our school’s special Diwali celebration, occurring a couple of weeks ago.

1 comment:

Christian Wedding Invitations said...
This comment has been removed by the author.