Monday, November 24, 2008

One Year On: "One Sunday Morning"


Just one year ago I was writing about a heavy snowfall which caused a freak chain reaction leading to an electrical surge that could have sent up the school in flames. That was in Belgrade, Serbia. Now, one year on, I am in Chennai India - definitely a world away. With "fall" temperatures hovering around the low 80's (27°C), snowfall here is but a foreign concept. Empty snow-covered hills are replaced with flat, bustling, puddle-filled streets. Instead of the Sava River view from my apartment, I smell the Adyar River. I now go to a large purpose-built school instead of a small one whose main buildings are villas. Serbian and American names are replaced by Korean and Indian ones. Getting around consisted mainly of hopping on a tram, bus, or walking. Now I get to school with an auto rickshaw.

I miss my friends and colleagues in Belgrade. I enjoyed the change of seasons, the old architecture, and ease of getting around. I remind myself that India has much to offer - so much to see, great shopping opportunities, and exposure to cultures totally unfamiliar to me. Although I will never blend in here, I do look forward to getting more familiar with Chennai, meeting more of the local people and experiencing its many cultural events and various sights.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Great contrasting post today! I remember the snowfall...and the fire. It's very cold and rainy here; no snow...yet.

goooooood girl said...

your blog is feel good......