Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Get out those striped winter hats!

As I went out for my morning walk at 5:30, I actually felt a slight chill in the air. Not that it was cold, but for a place where temperatures rarely dip below 80 F (32 C), the morning temps around 70 (21 C) were a big change. While walking and then on my auto rickshaw ride to school, I noticed more people wearing those striped "hats" - essentially a wide knitted strip with an attached knitted band to tie below the chin. Older ladies with saris, men with shawls draped over their shoulders, children, and the many motorcyclists all donned these fashion headgear.

It reminded me of in Mali where during this time of year I would find the men huddled around the fire, wearing winter jackets and commercially knitted hats. Granted, the humidity during this time of year was very low. I received quizzical stares as I walked past them wearing only a long-sleeved cotton shirt, smiling as I enjoyed the morning air.

Now we'll see how I do when I go back to Wisconsin for Christmas....

3 comments:

Pat said...

I need a hat when I go out when it is even a teeny bit cold. Here it's been alternating between really cold and warm, so I've gotta be careful! Check out Chuck's Seattle Photos (see my blog list) for a photo he posted today (December 4th) that will remind you of something...

Dan Enderle said...

Bah.. its not cold there. We got about 8 inches of snow here, and it was 0 degrees F (-17c) this morning. Send us some of your 'cold' weather! haha

Anonymous said...

HI -

My Pondicherry Kepi died after 30 years of use. Do you have a link to where I can buy another or several for my friends. They loved my Pondicherry Kepi!

Best, quickphil
icon (@) iconnetwork dot org