Tuesday, November 10, 2009

On to Orissa, Rajarani Temple

Another overnight train later, I arrived at the Bhubaneswar train station in the state of Orissa. Located two states north of Tamil Nadu, Orissa is famous for its ancient Hindu temples and large tribal population. Originally I had planned to visit some of the tribes, but due to renewed tribal violence and tensions, decided that the photo opportunities were not worth the risk. Instead, I would base myself out of the capital city of Bhubaneswar and take a couple day trips from there. At the train station, a sister of one of our local Indian teachers warmly met me. It was quite easy to spot me, as I was the only redhead around and perhaps the only white person as well.


On the way to the guest house where I would be staying, I immediately noticed at how much cleaner Bhubaneswar appeared than other Indian cities, including Chennai. Very little rubbish was thrown about, murals featuring Orissa’s traditional designs, musical instruments, sights, and Hindu mythology cheered up the walls. It also seemed a bit calmer; I guess less traffic and wider roads helps.

Rajarani Temple
That evening after setting up the tour itinerary for the next few days, my gracious Orissa host took me to one of Bhubaneswar’s ancient Hindu temples – the 11th century Rajarani Temple. Set a pleasant walk on the far side of a walled grassy area, this temple had beautiful carvings on its spire. The sun was setting, filling the sky with warm colors and casting its colors onto the stone structure. The scene was tranquil, enhanced by a beautifully manicured lawn, flowering bushes, and trees. While the bottom part of the temple was rather plain, there still was a detail feast for the eyes, including some slender female figures and guardian figures. Not knowing that we would be doing any sightseeing, I hadn’t brought along my camera. The very substandard photos taken with my cell phone would have to do. Inside the temple was bare – no presiding deities here. It smelled a bit of urine (hopefully bat and not human), so I didn’t linger long.

Later that evening, we enjoyed ourselves at a cafĂ© where we met yet another sister, exchanging thoughts and ideas. I even tried some local “fast food” with the encouragement of my hosts. It was filling and tasty.

No comments: