Monday, November 09, 2009

The People of Vizag Fishing Harbor



Passing by the grounded submarine which the city claimed and then turned into a museum, we went to what would be our final destination – a boat ride from the fishing harbor. Nearing the area, I noticed tiny dried fish lining the edges of the paved road. Vehicles, apparently used to this practice, simply moved closer to the center of the road or swerved to avoid running over the fish. Turning into the harbor road, I was greeted with a sight that caught my eye and a smell that turned off all the Indians in our car. Yes, the smell of fish was quite overpowering, but I didn’t care. What I saw were “real” people with wizened faces, triple-pierced noses, and scarves amidst large piles and baskets of dried fish. The scene was a bustle of activity, people laboring much the way they probably did a hundred years ago. I intended to head back to this place when the others in the car did the boat ride. Alas, between the 60 rupee ($1.28) fee and strong fishy smell, no one was interested in taking the boat ride. Sadly the car once again drove past the fish workers. Upon hearing that the tour had ended albeit nearly 3 hours early (several museums were closed due to holiday), I asked the guide to take me back to the fishing harbor. I could tell that the driver and guide were a bit impatient, but I was determined to spend at least a few minutes here, a scene so rich in photo documentary possibilities. Between meeting the people, witnessing their excitement as they saw photos of themselves, and being offered a stogie by a woman (of which I politely refused), this was my favorite part of the entire Vizag tour.

No comments: