Friday, March 12, 2010

Ladies (and Men) in Red


While touring through Tamil Nadu this past December, my friends and I noticed a large number of people (particularly at temple sites) wearing red. Between the uniform-like appearance (many saris had the same print), sheer numbers of people, and frequency of sightings, I presumed that they must be on some sort of pilgrimage. These are devotees of Oruvane Thevan, meaning "all are equal in front of the one God." The red color signifies equality, since the color of blood is the same for all people, regardless of caste, creed, or status. Devotees come to the Adi Parasakthi Temple at Mel Maruvathur in Tamil Nadu, worshiping in the temple in the manner to which they are accustomed. People of all religions are allowed to enter. The time of our traveling coincided with the pilgrimage season. 

1 comment:

Pat said...

So that's what the red meant! I think I see a lady that I have a photo of here, too.

They certainly were all over the place when we traveled...it's so gray here; I miss the colors...!