Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chiang Rai City

Located 180 km (111 mi) north of Chiang Mai, the city of Chiang Rai (pop 62,000) has more of a laid-back feeling. About 13% of its population are members of various hill tribes, including the Karen, Akha, Lisu, Lahu, Yao, and Hmong. The city itself felt less touristy, but the many signs in front of businesses revealed that there was a large market for hill tribe, trekking, and Golden Triangle tours. Tattoo and massage parlors were also plentiful, catering to tourists.

I stayed at a quiet guest house with a pleasant garden from where breakfast was served. It was a perfect place to begin a leisurely morning, checking my email and “chatting” with people on Facebook – all from my iPod touch and the guest house’s free wireless.

Although Chiang Rai had its fair share of Buddhist temples (including a few that were replicas of those in Chiang Mai), I found few to be as beautiful or as impressive. No Donald Ducks eating noodles with chopsticks, though… Churches were visible in town and in the outer parts, with hill tribe people comprising a fair amount of the area’s Christians.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I often stay at guest houses when I venture into the villages otherwise I prefer to stay in one of the Chiang Rai hotels.