Thursday, October 28, 2010

Handloom Textile Factory


We also stopped at a converted tea factory building now housing a textile business. Here, women worked on handlooms to create more utilitarian tablecloths, bedspreads, clothing, placemats, and other household textiles. The creaky wooden floors and overall look reminded me a bit of the granary barn on our farm. In the upstairs level, several women were working on the looms, with most of the light coming from the windows. One woman eagerly showed me how several looms and spinning devices were operated. Next she demonstrated how what I thought was a small design embroidered later was actually carefully added one row at a time, incorporated directly within the loom weaving. Through Kasun I asked her how long she had worked at the factory, to which she replied “40 years.” That would make her one of the original workers at the factory. While I looked in another room where more women were using Singer treadle-type sewing machines to make clothing, Kasun’s cousin was busy fixing a loom. After seeing some finished pieces, we moved onward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I came and visited this factory in Ella town but i didn't get their adress to sent them photos, do you still have it ?

Marie

Melissa Enderle said...

Sorry I don't, but I do know someone who lives in Ella, so if you are interested, I could ask them. Could take a while, as they don't have internet.