Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Tending the Sheep by the Roman Ruins

Now with a story about the shepherd.
Like my father and grandfather, I traverse through these hilly lands near my hometown of Tébeousouk with my sheep. This time of year it’s easier to find grass for my sheep to eat. The grove of olive trees near the Punic Mausoleum provides some extra shade against the sun. My sheep seem to favor this area as well; the cut stones, once part of Punic or Roman buildings dating around two millennia, now serve as climbing playgrounds. To my left are the embedded pavement stones of a road, leading to the Capitol building that still dominates the hill of the ancient Roman city. Although Dougga is a popular tourist attraction, the officials guarding this UNESCO World Heritage site have graciously allowed me and other shepherds to graze our herds through these historical lands.

No comments: